Author Topic: New PC. Broken already.  (Read 1644 times)

• Activity: 0%
    • View Profile
New PC. Broken already.
« on: September 30, 2014, 20:39:44 PM »
Just built myself a new PC. Partly cannibalised from my old PC but mostly new.

Put it all together, fired it up and it all seemed to work, installed Windows 7, then the MB drivers then the Graphic drivers. Over the course of 1-2 hours. Then I let it sit there while I tried to figure out why my second HD was'nt showing by googling on the laptop.

Then suddenly the PC shut down, no warning and then turned it self on again almost immediately. But now the MB has 2 LED's on,  one being the CPU LED & the other is the DRAM LED. And nothing is showing on the monitor.

MB is a ASUS x58 Sabertooth which is new, processor is a new i7, but a first for me as I have opted for water cooling. The only parts from the old PC is the PSU and RAM (6x2 2GB sticks). The processor isnt hot, I can touch the heat sink and it feels very cool, almost cold.

• Date Tagged: Jan 2011
    • View Profile
Re: New PC. Broken already.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 22:35:39 PM »
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 22:38:27 PM by [NRNS]COLT »

• \m/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 22:56:39 PM »
what's the rated wattage of that old PSU? it sounds like what i had when my psu turned out to be to weak

MB is a ASUS x58 Sabertooth which is new, processor is a new i7
x58 is not new at all! This is for the FIRST generation of 'core i' CPU's; Nehalem. It came out in 2008, SIX years ago!
The current generation is Haswell, which is the FOURTH generation. (and uses an x8- or x9- series chipset)
Click here for budget based PC hardware suggestions

I am allergic to mistakes with your/you're, their/they're/there, and people saying looser instead of loser.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 06:28:39 AM »
ya i would check if your power supply is sufficient. iI had a 450w and turned out i needed 600w. also check your manual usually there is a list of different led errors and what it means.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 10:33:46 AM »
PSU is 950W

MB was new when I bought it (2011 ???) but the PC project I bought it for didnt materialise so its been sat on my shelf for awhile until this PC rebuild came about. Should of ebayed it 2 years ago :-[

And yeah, Tony and I were having a go at this on vent last night and he came to the conclusion that the BIOS is at fault.

So my so called solution is to go back to my old MB & CPU. Update the BIOS on that MB and then put the new CPU in. As for the ASUS MB, pfffff I cant reset it, I go through the instructions to reset the CMOS and I still got the 2 LED's of death. Even with the old CPU in which is older than that MB.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 10:36:22 AM by [NRNS]LT-R-MACGREGOR »

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 11:01:28 AM »
happened to me once, sudden shut down then turning back on but not showing anything on the monitor, except those LED lights, i replaced the PSU with a new one but nothing happened, my brother said updating the bios may fix the problem, so i did it, aaand works like a charm  :D Also make sure the PSU still works perfectly, as you said it came from the old PC, be sure its not defective.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 12:32:29 PM »
PSU is in good health I believe. Not had any problems with it in the past.

Anyway, old MB & CPU are in and it seems to be working so thats somthing atleast. Will now update the BIOS on it to take the new CPU and then swop that over

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 15:48:51 PM »
New CPU is in, and all seems to be working. Although now I am getting the same problems I did with my last PC which suggests the MB has a slight fault. And that sometimes on startup it doesnt get past the Flash screen and just hangs.

Anyway, now to the new MB. What if anything can be done about it, or would getting a new MB be the best option?

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 02:00:42 AM »
if you are stuck in the splash screen check if there are any USB storage device connected, disconnect it if there is and change the boot sequence to hdd. which mb are you using right now the old or new?

Navigation

Pages

Contact

Connections

Online Gaming