login

Author Topic: Glitching debate.  (Read 660 times)

• Activity: 0%
    • View Profile
Glitching debate.
« on: August 24, 2014, 05:28:58 AM »
First off, this is not a heated or threatened post. I am just here to voice an opinion and see what the [NRNS] group believes. I am NOT attacking NRNS in any way.

Today I was called out for glitching when playing on your US mixed server. It was by Helo D who I later figured out is not an admin, not that that makes him any less reliable. I still would like to question his warnings. I know this seems a little ridiculous and a little geeky, but I downloaded a overview of the map and used paint to help describe my point.

Today I was called out for glitching when I was in the roofs circled in blue. I was called out by a guest, which turned into an onslaught of about 4 or 5 other people - helo d included - saying relentlessly that I was glitching. I couldn't help myself from snapping back and saying I wasn't in a glitch, trying to explain exactly why it wasn't but it wasn't received well. I was just told to shut up and leave it alone, no matter how respectfully I was trying to handle it. That's why I'm here, to explain why I think that ISN'T a glitch, it was intended in my map design by infinity ward.

I would like to give my definition of "glitch" in reference to a video game. A glitch is when a player does something that wasn't intended by the developers - wether that be map glitches, movement glitches, skips, ect. It's a broad definition, but decently captures what I think a gltich truly is.

Now to my point. What I was in was not in a glitch, the game developers intended for players to be able to gain access to those areas, albiet its not apparent, but its there. The red arrows surrounding the blue area are all access points to the roof. Each of those are mantels (climb ups) to the areas above, something that must be programmed into the map previously. In the black circled area, the same thing is shown. An area of difficult access but still the ability to go in and out. The yellow circle is the location of a LADDER that was put into the map for those who fall in that pit, proving they knew people would go there. If they didn't want people there, they would simply put a invisible barrier like they did to the multiple glitches found in previous patches.

There is a gray area to all this though. The white question marks are places of access that aren't accessible without a tricky jump, making me think its a glitch. The one on the right being the most popular.

So my question to NRNS is what do you think? Is this a previous "no-no" area ruled by admins? If so I'll back off. It just seems a little harsh seeming as the map devs programmed the areas into the map.

I don't usually get worked up over something as silly as this, but in the circumstance it felt appropriate because I believe myself to be doing no harm. I run my own servers as well. I know what a pain it is to be an admin, but I was doing something that I believe to be OK.

Thanks,
-Lucas

• View Profile
Re: Glitching debate.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 08:29:59 AM »
Hi Lucas,
The area that you were told is a glitch, is considered as a glitch by us.

You have to remember that the developers of the game created the game for different modes of play. Some play in a simple way, others have a realistic approach and then you have promod, just to name a few.
In our US#1 and #2 servers we have always aimed for a mix between simple and realistic. You'll find that other servers adjust gravity for example to allow access to other areas that normally would be out of reach.
To access that blue roof you need to make a very specific jump, a low experience player would not be able to do that, and that is a disadvantage. We try as hard as we can to make the servers a place were players come to enjoy a game with other players, and as you know, its very hard to find a balance. There is always someone that wants a different set of rules.
We do aim to please the majority.

Thanks for showing an interest in our rules and trying to improve our servers

[NRNS]DeadWeight

• View Profile
Re: Glitching debate.
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 10:20:40 AM »
This has got to be the best public ever. Specially loved the argument about the ladder, thats a winner :P

Your well manners honour you Lucas.

Navigation

Pages

Contact

Connections

Online Gaming