Author Topic: BF2 crash at profile screen  (Read 2663 times)

• Activity: 3.33%
    • View Profile
BF2 crash at profile screen
« on: August 22, 2015, 00:34:09 AM »
Hello all. Hoping someone has some insight or ideas to help solve this problem.

I recently installed BF2 from scratch:
  • Installed BF2 base
  • Patched to 1.41
  • Patched to 1.5
  • Extracted the 'Revive BF2 Launcher ONLY' into my BF2 main folder
  • Ran BF2 through the battlelog launcher, couldn't retrieve my old profile or create a new one (battlelog mentions that their launcher has issues with that and that we have to create profiles manually).
  • Created a profile using ghostcall's steps.
  • Ran BF2 through the battlelog launcher, BF2 crashed just as it got to the 'choose profile' list with the below error message.
  • Ran BF2 via the normal BF2.exe. It loaded fine, showed my profile in the 'choose profile' list but couldn't connect to the login server.

If I have no profile (except Default) the game loads fine from the launcher... I just can't create a profile and join multiplayer (singleplayer works fine). If I have a profile the game crashes at the profile screen (unless I launch the game via the normal BF2.exe).

This is the error message displayed:

Does anyone have any ideas about what's causing this issue or see any steps I've missed?  :(
I am very open to suggestion. If you see an error or room for improvement or just have a comment or query please get in touch with me via forum PM, email, or Discord.

• Activity: 0%
  • Thou shalt not recoil before thine enemy.
    • View Profile
Re: BF2 crash at profile screen
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 00:47:36 AM »
what OS?

• Thou shalt not recoil before thine enemy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 00:54:08 AM »
In any event.  done some digging for you
Try to run in compatibility for Prev Windows, get a earlier build of your sound drivers, the error is reported across loads of forums,
Another thing that seems to work for a lot of people is setting the resolution to their monitor native resolution via config

If that doesn't work you can try and force windowed mode by adding -windowed to the end of your shortcut path
Ill use a random shortcut but it should look something like this
" C:\Users\Vule\Downloads\Halo\DewritoUpdater.exe-windowed"  that should enable you to access game options and tweak what you need in order to get it running, set it to your native settings and so on and so forth...

Also apparently for some reason people who are running it on HDMI cables are getting this issue so try a VGA or some other form of input... and lastly make sure your refresh rate is properly set to your monitors default value.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 01:21:35 AM »
Thanks for looking up that stuff. I didn't think to do it.  ::)

The thing that gets me is that the crash only occurs if I have a profile.

I did some additional poking around and found that the launcher is launching BF2.exe with the following arguments:
Code: [Select]
+playerName [NRNS]SirGuySW +playerPassword password +modPath mods/bf2  +fullscreen 0
I applied those arguments to my own shortcut and it crashed aswell. I removed the password argument and it loaded fine. I've been trying to find a way to get the launcher to stop launching BF2.exe with those arguments but have had no luck.  :-X

Edit: OS is Win7. I'll try compatibility and messing with my system sound settings.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 01:23:23 AM by [NRNS]SirGuySW »
I am very open to suggestion. If you see an error or room for improvement or just have a comment or query please get in touch with me via forum PM, email, or Discord.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 02:43:45 AM »
 :-[ :-X

Embarrassing conclusion/fix:
After disabling all my playback devices BF2 stopped crashing when launched through the loader. One problem solved. However, it still couldn't connect to the server. I downloaded the full BF2 install from battlelog... still no luck...

Then the BF3 DLC I was downloading to try to fix my BF3 crashing finished ... and I remembered I've had PeerBlock running this whole time. . . Closed that down. Ran battlelog launcher -> BF2 -> connected. Closed the battlelog launcher. Re-enabled my playback devices and ran the plain BF2.exe -> connected (now with sound).

:'( :-X  ::)

I don't know why having playback devices while providing user/pass arguments causes a crash ... but I don't mind clicking my name in the list each time. :)

TY much for the help V. Steered me in the right direction.

• put the lime on the coconut
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 04:31:59 AM »
i dont know if you have solved completely or not ... just a suggestion,there is 2 options patched and release  .

patched version :

install 1.0 +patch1.41 +patch1.5 +launcher + [renaming bf2_w32_ded as bf2_w32_dedold and extract in that folder the bf2_w32_ded downloaded from battlelog ]
if im not wrong you didnt last step

extra steps if dont work :

allow every icon related with bf2 on firewall

run as administrator your bf2RG.exe

Enviado desde mi GT-I9070 usando Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 04:34:54 AM by [NRNS]QUE_ME_PONGO_LOCO »

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 05:33:54 AM »
I still haven't gotten the launcher to work but I can just run the bf2rg directly. There was no bf2_w32_ded in the launcher zip. Only things in that zip were the cracked bf2 (bf2rg.exe), launcher, and a dll. The launcher automatically backs up your old bf2.exe and renames bf2rg.exe to bf2.exe.

• put the lime on the coconut
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 07:47:07 AM »
I still haven't gotten the launcher to work but I can just run the bf2rg directly. There was no bf2_w32_ded in the launcher zip. Only things in that zip were the cracked bf2 (bf2rg.exe), launcher, and a dll. The launcher automatically backs up your old bf2.exe and renames bf2rg.exe to bf2.exe.

thats because you havent downloaded the file bf2_w32_ded(or something like that), is on battlelog download section ,is not in zip of the launcher .

You have to rename original file as bf2_w32_dedold then extract the file of battlelog(i think is named as "bf2 rank and unlocks" at download section  ).... try it

Enviado desde mi GT-I9070 usando Tapatalk 2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2015, 10:17:25 AM »
Yeah, I don't see anything like that on their downloads page tho. Maybe it's been integrated into the launcher like the auto backup and switching of the bf2.exe. But all-in-all I'm really ok with running bf2 with my own shortcut with my own arguments like I always did before. The game itself is 100% working ... just the weird battlelog launcher is broken. /shrug :)

Navigation

Pages

Contact

Connections

Online Gaming