Author Topic: NRNS SERVERS ON HOMEPAGE  (Read 4198 times)

• Activity: 0%
    • View Profile
NRNS SERVERS ON HOMEPAGE
« on: January 24, 2017, 13:24:37 PM »
Any idea why I can't see any of the servers on the homepage? Chrome, Edge and IE do not display the information. I cleared the caches reloaded but still no servers.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 13:29:49 PM by [NRNS]MeBenDazol »

• Date Tagged: Apr 2007
  • (T)ogether (E)veryone (A)chieves (M)ore
    • View Profile
Re: NRNS SERVERS ON HOMEPAGE
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 15:00:52 PM »
maybe you do have turned off javascript, check your browsers settings ifso.
"We do have rules, however, we can bypass those at any time if that means we can have something meaningful out of it."
Please do not PM me with unban/support questions, i will ignore them. You will get for sure faster responses when you post it in the right forum board.  Thank you.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 16:12:23 PM »
 javascript is enabled

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 16:25:49 PM »
It's working now. The problem was it took around 1.5 minute to load and I never waited that long.
BTW the new BF2 vehicle server is missing.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 16:34:58 PM by [NRNS]MeBenDazol »

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 19:17:25 PM »
glad you sorted it out, about that 1.5 min to load is a bit weird, do you have a connection that is transported by a homing pigeon?
"We do have rules, however, we can bypass those at any time if that means we can have something meaningful out of it."
Please do not PM me with unban/support questions, i will ignore them. You will get for sure faster responses when you post it in the right forum board.  Thank you.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 21:39:18 PM »
I guess this was the problem...

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/f7/9b/a2/f79ba294c845fbb687f57969b14d5afa.jpg
NRNS SERVERS ON HOMEPAGE
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 21:41:16 PM by [NRNS]Ynot »

Your friendly neighborhood SysAdmin

• They may take me but never take us all
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 08:40:43 AM »

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/f7/9b/a2/f79ba294c845fbb687f57969b14d5afa.jpg
NRNS SERVERS ON HOMEPAGE

Nice one :D

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 10:52:33 AM »
glad you sorted it out, about that 1.5 min to load is a bit weird, do you have a connection that is transported by a homing pigeon?
I have 15/1 Mb bandwidth. It's unstable but fits my needs. Today it's not loading anymore. I'm quite busy right now so I'll investigate later.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 10:57:07 AM »

NRNS SERVERS ON HOMEPAGE

I've been the IT team for the last 30 years, I'm very well aware of dumb support queries. I'm from the time computers had keys and people would call the gurus to ask why the computer did not start after they turn the key.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 17:56:57 PM »
LOL

Apenas uma pequena anedota, nada pessoal.

Your friendly neighborhood SysAdmin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 11:46:43 AM »
Stats are gone again with my Edge. The message loading server stats... does not even show up. With IE11 and Chrome the message appears but the stats does not or I did not wait long enough but I think over 1 minute is not acceptable.

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 12:34:26 PM »
Stats are gone again with my Edge. The message loading server stats... does not even show up. With IE11 and Chrome the message appears but the stats does not or I did not wait long enough but I think over 1 minute is not acceptable.

edge on my pc works fine

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 13:35:46 PM »
I'm really tired atm and unable to form well-written sentences/paragraphs. I'm putting my thoughts into a bulleted list instead to keep them as clear as possible. Sorry.

Some personal observations (Chrome, Windows 7), other's experiences may vary. I'm not even sure this is relevant in the big scheme, but just in case it hasn't been thought of yet:

• The script to load the server info is run every 9 seconds.
  • Each time it's run it takes (basically) the same amount of time to return info (37 seconds) (see screenshot). This means it's probably either:
    • doing the exact same thing every time (potentially costly, see below).
    • has a built-in required time to wait before returning info.
  • A run every 9 seconds with 37 seconds to fulfill each run leads to a stacking request 4-5 deep (ie: there are 4-5 requests pending at any time--after the initial 3).
  • If #1 above is true the webserver is potentially making a lot of API calls to determine gameserver state every time the script is run. If other people show this behavior and if a few of them open several copies of this page at the same time it might (accidentally) DoS the webserver. That might slow the response further.
  • Maybe this is what's causing the page to load so slowly at peak times when a lot of people have the main nrns page open?
  • If it's not already done this way: Having the webserver fetch the game server data once every 5 seconds (or w/e), prepare the web page, and serve that pre-prepared webpage when requested (instantly, since nothing would be required except serving a static webpage) might be more cost effective for the webserver and might cut down on the inadvertent DoS... if that's what's happening.
I am very open to suggestion. If you see an error or room for improvement or just have a comment or query please get in touch with me via forum PM, email, or Discord.

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2017, 14:12:34 PM »
what you post it true, about the 37 sec to page loads depends how fast your isp connection is. I'm gonna change the query from 9 sec to 1 min in a loop, maybe this will solve some problems for members.

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2017, 21:16:32 PM »
Every time though? And when the rest of the site loads snappy? I tested it on smartphone (different ISP) and observed about the same 'time till load' (about 20 seconds, I don't have dev tools on phone so can't say for sure, but today it's 16 seconds tested on Win7 Chrome). It really seems like the wait is server-side.

If you're not seeing this on your end and want me to send you some debug timing printouts you could hide them in the results, let me know where to go and I'd be happy to send them your way. I know how useful those can be in fixing an inconsistent issue.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 21:22:03 PM by [NRNS]SirGuySW »
I am very open to suggestion. If you see an error or room for improvement or just have a comment or query please get in touch with me via forum PM, email, or Discord.

Navigation

Pages

Contact

Connections

Online Gaming